Blog

Chevron vs. Zig Zag

I don't know why this bothers me so much, maybe because I'm in the military where we use (inverted) chevron insignia for our ranks, but it does indeed make me crazy. So, I did a little diagram to illustrate the difference between the chevron and the zig zag.

13 Responses to Chevron vs. Zig Zag

1. Miggy October 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm

AMEN!

2. S. Taylor December 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm

This strikes a cord with me but it is only one small example of how English words are used incorrectly. You might notice ads on TV that misuse the “less” for “fewer” or “volume” for “amount”. The last one is for a grocery chain ad that has the actor saying that she buys large volumes of food when in fact we buy food by the amount, as for example 24 ounces. No one buys 6 cubic yards of dog food etc.

3. Caroline March 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

I actually said “Thank you!” out loud when I read this! I’m seeing “chevron” being incorrectly used in place of “zig zag” all over the crafting/scrapbooking industry at the moment, and it’s been bugging me. I’m glad I’m not alone! :)

4. Pingback: Zigs and Zags » Lola Pink Fabrics

5. Pingback: Light Up, Light Up! « The Hankerer

6. StephAnie October 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I said “thank you” out loud, too!! I actually googled hoping someone {anyone} else was bothered by this and have no pinned this helpful graphic :)

7. Jennifer November 3, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Ahh, thank you for this illustration! I have sensed that there is a difference but did not know how to explain it! I’m glad I wasn’t the only one thinking there’s a difference.
    I get annoyed also when so-called fashion bloggers/vloggers don’t know the difference between cheetah and leopard.

8. Adventures in Dressmaking December 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Omigosh, thank you SO much for doing this. It reeeeeeally bugs me when people use chevron to describe any zigzag print–in fact, a friend jokingly corrected my husband the other day when he said (correctly) zigzag print. I joked back that actually, it’s controversial, because technically aren’t these a series of chevrons??? UGH it bugs me haha. I was thinking about doing a post to clear it up, and found yours! Pinned your graphic right away!

9. jen April 13, 2013 at 9:54 am

My gf and I were just sitting in bed and arguing about what a chevron and a zigzag were. Thank you. I won!

10. Laura April 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

The curmudgeon in me has to point out that comment #2, while mentioning misuses of language, used the word “cord” when the word “chord” was required. lol

11. Pingback: Zigzag curtains | A Stitch Off

12. Pingback: Chevron Peer Pressure. Don’t Give In. | Perfection Pending

13. Pingback: chevron, zig zag, sisley, trends, forever 21, fashion | White Roses and Coffee